Past Present Future
Stewart was the second intermediate school built in 1925 after Jason Lee. The completed cost was $406,173. The annex on the west side of campus was added in 1964. The school was named after James P. Stewart, Tacoma's first teacher. He started teaching in Old Tacoma in 1869. He then became a prosperous Puyallup Valley farmer and the first mayor of Puyallup before organizing the Pacific National Bank of Tacoma in 1885.
Stewart is currently a 6th-8th grade middle school in Tacoma Public Schools. It is undergoing a federally funded reform effort to improve student academic performance on state testing. This process started fall of 2010 and will continue under a new distinction fall of 2014.
The remodel of Stewart's campus will begin summer of 2015. As a historical building many of the structures will stay intact along with the exterior of the building. Inside, we will see completely remodeled, offices, classrooms, library, lunchroom, gymnasiums and hall spaces. The grounds will also be redone to include better parking and traffic flow along with a new turf field and rubber track.