Supporting Students with Special Needs
Students will continue to have access to their case manager support, small group and 1:1 instructional opportunities. Specially designed instruction will be provided in a variety of manners; online, remote or in-person (depending on the most current Pierce County Department of Health and Human Services guidelines).
Individualized Education Plan (IEP) Guidance
We follow guidance from the Tacoma Pierce County Health department and the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction with a priority on health and safety while continuing to provide FAPE.
Partnership with Families
- Yes, your case manager will be reaching out to families of students with IEPs to discuss, plan and schedule for the provision of services.
- The Student Services department will be sending out an informational letter in early August to all families of students with an IEP.
- Virtual webinars for families will be made available beginning in September to support remote learning for families of students with IEPs.
Individual Education Plan (IEP) Meetings
IEP meetings will continue to be held virtually or by phone until Pierce County Health and Human services provide guidance around holding face to face meetings.
Each student’s educational program will look different based on their unique 504 plan. Determinations will be made individually at the building level by the 504 team.
The school counselor will be responsible for communicating with the family.
Occupational Therapy (OT), Physical Therapy (PT), and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) Services
Your child will continue to receive SLP/OT/PT and other related services as indicated on their IEP in a remote or online learning environment. Delivery of related services will be determined on a case by case basis, following the guidance of the Pierce County Health and Human Services, OSPI and the recommendation of the IEP team.
Training for Families
Families will have access to a variety of virtual training sessions for;
- Behavioral support and intervention strategies
- Best practices to access remote/online learning at home
- Additional training as identified in collaboration with the Tacoma Special Needs PTA
Upcoming Webinar Training
Please join us on Teams for the following family trainings to help support you and your children during the 2020-2021 school year.
September 15 - Schoology: the learning management system (LMS)
September 23 - Collaborating with teachers