Opportunities in the Armed Services

​​The Armed Services provide many opportunities, both career and educational. When looking into these options, you should explore the wide range of military programs available including:
·         Active Duty
·         Reserves
·         ROTC (Reserved Officer Training Corps) scholarships
·         Officer Candidate School
·         The GI Bill funding for higher education
·         Service Academies
Active Duty and Reserves

The United States Military offers many paths for young men and women who wish to serve their country. Active Duty is a full-time job with the length of service to the military branch ranging from two to six years. The Reserves allows young men and women to maintain a civilian career while training one weekend a month, plus additional Field Training Exercise weekend, with the Reserves. Reservists may be called to Active Duty in times of conflict. Service in the Reserves may range between three and six years. Young men and women serving in Active Duty in enlisted service perform specific jobs and can rise to the rank of Sergeant Major.
Becoming a Commissioned Officer
There are several ways to become a commissioned officer in the United States Military. They include:
·    ROTC programs These allow a student to be commissioned as a second lieutenant upon graduation from college. ROTC scholarships range from covering all expenses with a living allowance to partial awards. College students are not sent to “boot camp” but agree to serve as Officers upon graduation. Students may join the ROTC Basic Course during the first two years of college without obligation to serve unless a scholarship has been awarded. Students may begin to apply for ROTC scholarships beginning in the second semester of the junior year.

·    Officer Candidate School College graduates who are U.S. citizens may apply to Officer Candidate School (OCS) to become officers in the military. Officer candidates attend basic training followed by Officer Candidate School. OCS is also available to enlisted military personnel.
The GI Bill

The GI Bill can help service members pay for college and other kinds of approved post-secondary training. For more information, speak with a military recruiter or check out the
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Service Academies
To attend a United States service academy -- the Air Force Academy, Military Academy, Naval Academy, Coast Guard Academy or Merchant Marine Academy -- a student should begin the application process during the spring of the junior year. See your counselor to initiate an appointment to the academy of your choice.
The application process for each of the academies is similar. You may go to each website to find application materials, descriptions of nominations and links to all nomination sources. Students are encouraged to begin this process in the spring by requesting nominations prior to completing the application in the early fall. Appointment decisions begin in November of the senior year.