The NE Tacoma Healthy Kids Coalition is a partnership with staff and PTAs from Crescent Heights Elementary, NE Tacoma Elementary, Browns Point Elementary, and Meeker Middle School, along with additional community partners that are focused on providing healthy weekend meals to students in need in our community. The idea is simple: a two-day supply of easy-to-prepare food is sent home with eligible students every Friday in their backpacks to ensure they have healthy meals throughout the weekend.
To sign up your child(ren) to receive a weekend food pack please contact our school social worker, Toni Stallman, at 253-571-6995 or tstallm@tacoma.K12.wa.us. You also complete form in the front office.
How can the community help?
1. Donate food. There are bins available in each of the participating schools to drop off food. Or you can visit the Coalition’s Amazon Wish List to see the food items the Coalition needs donated and have them shipped directly to Browns Point. Elementary: https://smile.amazon.com/.
2. Volunteer. The Coalition needs volunteers to help pack and deliver food each month (the Coalition packs on the second Tuesday of each month and delivers on the second Wednesday of each month) please use this link to sign up. Use this sign-up genius to volunteer: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080545aaae2da1ff2-food. The Coalition is also in need of flexible volunteers who can fill in at the last minute. If you would like to volunteer, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Donate money. Checks can be made out to any of the local PTAs, dropped off at school, with a memo on the check designating the donation for the Ne Tacoma Healthy Kids Coalition. If you have questions, email email@example.com.
NE Tacoma Healthy Kids Coalition Food List
In order to maintain equity in the food packs and ease of inventory and packaging, please only purchase items from the list below:
- Kraft Mac & Cheese Easy Mac Cups
- Chef Boyardee Ravioli Cups
- Hamburger Helper Microwave Singles Cups
- Chicken Cup O Noodles
- Beef Cup O Noodles
- Oatmeal Packets (Individual servings)
- Juice Boxes (Capri Sun or juice boxes, any variety)
- Pudding cups
- Fruit Cups
- Fruit Snacks
- Fig bars (Individual Serving)
- Granola Bars
- Crackers (Individual Servings)
- Chips (Small lunchbox size bags)
- Rice Krispy Treats
- Small Boxes of Cereal (Individual Serving size)
- Tuna and crackers (individual Servings)
- Cookies (Individual Servings)