The roots of Lowell Elementary run deep as it is the Tacoma School District's oldest school. Established in 1869, and originally known as the First Ward School. After moving to several locations, it was renamed Lowell after the American poet James Russell Lowell in 1890. A new Lowell School was built in 1950, on N. 13th & Yakima St., as the old building was condemned following the 1949 earthquake.
With this proud heritage, the Lowell community has always had a close and vital relationship with its school. This continues today with a home/school/community connection that is second to none.