Application to Change Schools

In Tacoma, students are expected to attend a school assigned by neighborhood (use the bus look-up tool to find your neighborhood school). If you would like your child to attend a school that is not in your neighborhood:

  1. Enroll your child at your neighborhood school.
  2. Complete the Application to Change Schools.

This process is for Kindergarten-12th grade. Preschool students should contact Early Learning for guidance by emailing or calling 253-571-2620.

​​​​​​Transferring to a different school is dependent on space availability at the grade level or program being requested. Transfer requests for the current school year are only implemented during the first 15 days of a trimester or semester. Transfer requests for the next school year must be submitted by the 2nd Friday in January for secondary schools and March 1st for elementary schools.

Start with an auto-filled form

Save time. Use your Home Access Center (HAC) login information and we can fill in some of the form for you.

Start with a blank form

No HAC login? It's not a problem. You can still submit an application to change schools.