Downing Elementary School’s mission is to prepare students to attain academic excellence through a partnership of families, students and staff.
We achieve this through the following common agreements.
- Set high standards and expectations
- Utilize data and best practices to direct instruction
- Participate in professional development
- Collaborate with peers, parents, and community to impact student learning
- Support implementation of school-wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
We are the Downing Eagles. Downing Elementary School is a neighborhood school situated within short distances to other neighborhood schools, local businesses, parks and the Boys and Girls Club. Our student learning environments range from half day special education preschool classrooms, two
Head Start classrooms, a third – fifth grade Highly Capable class, and all day school for kindergarten through fifth grade. We are a small elementary school which gives staff an opportunity to know all our students and develop close ties with families, many of which have
attended Downing over several generations. Downing is a great place to teach and learn.
Some of our school initiatives are:
- Positive Behavioral Supports
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) classroom, grades 3-5
- Active PTA
- Champions before and after school childcare
- Partnership with Gonyea Boys and Girls Club