Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is an evidence-based three-tiered framework for improving and integrating all the data, systems, and practices affecting student outcomes every day. It is a way to support everyone to create the kinds of schools where all students are successful.
Three Tiers of Support
PBIS is a multi-tiered framework – three tiers, to be exact. Each tier aligns to the type of support students need. When schools implement PBIS, they:
- Regularly check the effectiveness of their practices
- Pull from a continuum of evidence-based interventions to support student needs
- Develop content expertise through coaching and on-going professional development
- Rely on teams to guide implementation
- Use data to monitor student progress
- Implement universal screening practices
- Include community members and families to create culturally relevant practices.
Restorative Practices (Tier 1)
Advanced Tiers of Support (Tier 2, Tier 3)
Contact the Whole Child Department at