Special Education Services
Tacoma Public Schools offers special education services rooted in the needs of your child. We provide a full continuum of services for students as early as preschool and can extend past high school. We intentionally support families and caregivers as well as the student receiving services.
Enroll Your Child in Tacoma Public Schools
If your student has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or evaluation from another school district, you can submit those documents through the other document section while completing our online enrollment process.
- Grades K-12: If you live within the boundaries of Tacoma Public Schools and you want to attend your neighborhood school, complete the new student enrollment process.
- Grades K-12: If you live within the boundaries of TPS and you want to attend a school other than your neighborhood school, complete the non-neighborhood choice enrollment application.
- Grades K-12: If your live outside the boundaries of TPS and you want to attend a school in TPS, you must request a release of attendance from your neighborhood district. Learn more about the non-resident enrollment process.
- Preschool enrollment is a separate process, learn more about our early learning and Pre-K programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I think my child may have a disability. What should I do?
- My student is transferring from another school district, what happens next?
- My child has an IEP, and I want them to attend a specific school. What should I do?
- My student qualifies for special education transportation. How do I set up their transportation services?
- My student requires a nurse/1:1 education support professional. How can I make sure they receive this?
- My student receives special education and qualifies for McKinney Vento or Foster Care status. What are my next steps to receive those services?
- My child has been referred for special education. What's next?
Inclusion in Tacoma means...
- All students are presumed competent and have potential.
- Students are assigned in and attending inclusive programs and classes.
- Students are in proximity to and participating in learning with peers.
- All students have purposeful roles in the school setting.
- All students are planned for.
- Procedural Safeguards
Download Special Education procedural safeguards, including translated versions