Washington Elementary School
Washington Elementary Construction Updates
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Washington Elementary is a recognized historic building in the Proctor District in Tacoma. The school was built in 1906 and had significant additions in 1949. It's remodel in 2013/14 restored the original historic building, replaced the 1949 gymnasium with new construction and add a new cafeteria, stage, gymnasium, library and classrooms. The additions are in character of the school’s history.
Site amenities include a new playground with turf play field and covered play area, a bus drop off zone and on-street perpendicular parking.
Washington-Hoyt students and staff members used the former Hunt Middle School site during the remodel.
Hoyt Elementary School, now an early learning center operated in partnership with the Children's Museum of Tacoma, joined Washington Elementary in Tacoma’s Proctor neighborhood in 1959. Hoyt was nominated to the Tacoma Register of Historic Places by Historic Tacoma in early 2014.
This project is funded by the $500 million school construction bond voters approved in 2013.
Architect: BLRB Architects
Contractor: Babbit Newman Construction
Square footage: 58,963 square feet
Opened: Sept 2014
Want more information?
Contact us at (253) 571-3350 or firstname.lastname@example.org