Free Meals & Household Information Survey FAQ
TPS students will continue to receive free meals throughout the 2022-2023 school year. The district has adopted a special school meal funding option that allows schools and school districts with high eligibility for free and reduced-price meals to provide a no-cost lunch and breakfast for most students, regardless of income.
Due to this change, select TPS households will be asked to fill out a Household Information Survey. In August, these households can expect to receive an email from Nutrition Services at email@example.com with a link to the survey. Completing this survey will help to fund school programs and may also waive additional fees for the household. This replaces the Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application process.
Surveys must be completed and returned to the Nutrition Services department by Sept. 28, 2022.
If you’re asked to complete a survey, please note:
- Only one survey is required per household.
- TPS will email the survey to select families in August. The email will come from Nutrition Services.
- Students in kindergarten will receive a hard copy survey from their school.
- If your household has already received an eligibility confirmation letter from Nutrition Services, you do NOT need to fill out a Household Information Survey.
- Aside from free meals, what other benefits are households eligible for?
- Since students are already receiving these benefits, why are the surveys important?
- Are there TPS students who would not receive benefits?
- I was not asked to fill out a Household Information Survey—what should I do?
- Even if we indicate that we are not income eligible on the Household Information Survey, will my children still receive free meals?
- What happens if I refuse to fill out the Household Information Survey?
- Will all my children receive free meals, even in different school districts?
- What if my child changes districts?
- Will my child receive free breakfast as well as free lunch?
- What kind of food will be served?
- Will the district share my information?
- Who should I contact with questions about the Household Information Survey or if I need a qualification letter?