Homeless Student Assistance (McKinney-Vento Act)
In transition? Unstable housing situation?
Let us connect you with the support to keep your education on track. Hardships happen, and the
McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act, a federal law, ensures immediate enrollment and educational stability for homeless children and youth. Our district-appointed liaisons are here to facilitate, locate and assist our families and students who find themselves needing support during these difficult moments to continue receiving the highest standards of education.
- Live in a shelter, motel or campground?
- Live doubled-up with other people or couch-surfing?
- Live in a car, park or abandoned building?
Get covered in three simple steps
Under the McKinney-Vento Act you have a right to an education without barriers, which means you can:
- Receive a free public education
- Enroll in school immediately, even if you lack documents normally required for enrollment
- Attend classes while the school gathers your missing documents
- Enroll in the school closest to you or the school you were last enrolled in (school of origin), even if you have been forced to relocate
- Receive transportation to and from your school of origin
- Receive all the same educational services other students receive, even if you can't pay
- Participate in before and after school programs
- Receive counseling
- Receive free breakfast and lunch
- Participate in special education, bilingual vocational and gifted programs as qualified
- Receive school supplies
- Receive extra academic support through Title I funding
- Receive evaluation for any disabilities
Help Support Our Students
Your donations directly support McKinney-Vento students experiencing housing insecurity in Tacoma.
Donate onlineDonate by Mail
Please make checks payable to TPS Tone Trust and mail to:
Tacoma Public Schools
Attn: McKinney-Vento Department
PO Box 1357
Tacoma, WA 98401