Highly Capable Program
Tacoma Public Schools works every day to develop the special abilities of each student. Our Highly Capable services are designed to meet the needs of gifted students at all grade levels and are available across the district.
For information regarding the Highly Capable program, eligibility, placement, and services, please contact the Highly Capable office at 253.571.1120 or email@example.com
Appeal FormTo appeal the MDSC decision, complete the above form. Appeals are for the eligibility/non-eligibility decision only; not for the specific service model/program that is offered.
Appeals must be submitted within 15 school days of receiving a non-eligible decision.
Students can be referred by their parent/guardian, teachers, community members, or through self-referral. The information from the referral is considered along with a cognitive score and other assessments.
Referred students with a cognitive score on file may not be re-screened. The multidisciplinary selection committee (MDSC) must approve any re-screening.
Complete this pdf form to withdraw from Highly Capable services for the current year or permanently.
Learn more about highly capable
- OSPI Highly Capable
- National Association for Gifted Children
- Washington Association of Educators of the Talented and Gifted
- Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted
- Hoagie's Gifted Education Page
- Center for Talented Youth – John Hopkins University
- Duke University Talent Identification Program
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Davidson Institute for Talent Development
- Odyssey of the Mind