Enrollment Forms

Application to Attend a Non-Neighborhood School

Parents/guardians may apply for their student to attend a school that is not their assigned neighborhood school. Acceptance for non-neighborhood school enrollment is dependent upon building capacity, seats at various grade levels and program availability. Families are encouraged to explore their neighborhood school options. 

Application to Attend a Non-Neighborhood School

Declaration of Intent to Provide Home-Based Instruction

A parent who intends to have their student(s) receive home instruction in lieu of attendance or enrollment in a public or private school must complete this form annually, as described in Chapter 28A.200 of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW). 

Declaration of Intent to Home School Form

Home School Information

Chapter 28A.200 RCW

K-12 Enrollment

Families can enroll online or request a paper enrollment form from the Enrollment Services department at enrollmentservices@tacoma.k12.wa.us or 253-571-1142.

Enroll Online

Non-Resident Admissions Application

Before a non-resident can submit a Non-Resident Application to attend a school in the Tacoma School District a Release of Attendance must be granted by the district of residence. Permission must be granted annually by the district of residence. Please fill out this form each year you attend TPS instead of your home district. 

OSPI Choice Transfer Request Portal

Coming Year: 2024-25 Non-Resident Form

Parent Initiated Transfer

The transfer of students from one Tacoma Public School to another that is not their neighborhood school is determined by building capacity, seats at various grade levels, and program availability. Families are encouraged to communicate with the current school principal before applying for a transfer. If the transfer is granted, transportation to the new school is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. 

2024-25 Parent Initiated Transfer

Proof of Residency

If you are sharing a home with another individual or family within the district’s boundary, a Proof of Residency form is required along with any two proofs of residency from above with the homeowner/lease holder’s name and address.

Proof of Residency

Release to Attend Another District

  1. To attend school in a non-resident district, the resident district must first release the student to start the transfer process. Whether you are wishing to attend another school in another district, pursue a G.E.D., or some other path to high school completion, or seeking a renewal for a previously granted release, please complete a request through the Choice Transfer Request via the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal (CTRP). When you have completed your application through the CTRP, your request will be sent to the Enrollment Services team for review.

OSPI Choice Transfer Request Portal

2. If you wish to use a paper form, complete the Choice Transfer Request Form. Return the form directly to the Enrollment Services office via fax at 253-571-1141. You may also scan and email the form to enrollmentservices@tacoma.k12.wa.us.

Choice Transfer Request Paper Form

Contact Us

Enrollment Services
Central Administration Building 
601 South 8th Street
Tacoma, WA 98405

Phone: 253- 571-1142
Fax: 253-571-1141