Early Learning (Preschool)
Thanks to state, federal and local funding, Tacoma Public Schools is able to offer free preschool for qualifying families.
A good foundation in preschool can make a lasting difference in a child’s academic development. Research shows the earlier a student starts learning the more successful they will be. Our preschool programs provide high quality, equitable learning experiences designed to support the whole child.
State, federal and local funding allows us to offer half-day (AM or PM) and school-day programs across the district. Children must be three or four by August 31, and not yet kindergarten eligible, and some programs have income eligibility requirements. Space is limited and submitting an application does not guarantee enrollment into a program.
If you have moved into Tacoma Public Schools from another school district and your child has an existing IEP, please contact Child Find at 253-571-2610 for assistance with preschool placement.
Preschool applications for the 23-24 school year will be accepted starting April 10.
The link below is for the current school year only.
Apply for Preschool
2022-2023 School Year
Families interested in preschool for the 2022-2023 school year should complete the preschool application. The information provided helps us determine your child’s eligibility; we review address, age, and household income. Families can expect to hear from our team within four weeks and if eligible, you will also complete a TPS enrollment application.
Children must be three or four-years-old on or before August 31 of the current school year to qualify for preschool.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to complete an application for preschool enrollment?
- What are the qualifications for preschool enrollment?
- What are the Federal Poverty Levels (FPL) for household income?
- What is the process for reviewing applications for priority acceptance?
- How will preschool placement be determined?
- What documentation is required?
- Will my child receive district transportation for preschool?
- Can my kindergarten student remain at the same school they attended preschool?
- What if my child is not eligible for a TPS Preschool Program?