Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Summer Program
The Tacoma Public School’s Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Program is an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the nursing field and begin to develop the skills needed to pursue in a career in healthcare.
After completing this 6-week summer program, students will have the necessary certification to begin working as a Certified Nursing Assistant (must be 18 years of age, program completion does not guarantee employment). This certification will also help students gain a competitive edge as they continue their education and seek more advanced degrees in nursing or more broadly in the field of healthcare. This program will be a combination of virtual/remote learning, in person labs at Clover Park Technical College in Lakewood, and a one-week clinical rotation where student will gain hands-on training, working directly with patients at a skilled nursing facility or hospital in Tacoma. After completing all components of the program, students will take the WA State CNA exam, earn 7 college credits through Clover Park Technical College, and have the opportunity to apply for a 90-hour paid internship in the medical field during the 2022/2023 school year.
This program is currently available to 11th graders in Tacoma Public Schools. Student participants will be expected to commit to attending all scheduled classes, clinicals, practice tests, and the WA State exam (program dates: July 11th-August 26th). Students will be expected to work with their families to ensure that all vacations, appointments, etc. do not conflict with the program schedule. Once selected, students will be required to complete a Next Move professionalism course (Intro to Internship) in order to prepare for their summer experience.
Summer 2022 Program Timeline
- Application deadline extended through Friday, May 13
- Finalist interviews: May 18 -20
- Notify selected applicants: May 25
- Program on-boarding: May 31-June 18
- Virtual classroom learning, remote labs, in-person labs: July 11- August 5
- Monday-Wednesday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Thursday-Friday - In person labs at Clover Park Technical College
- Additional skills practice, clinical orientations: August 8 -12
- One-week clinical experience: August 15 - 26
- State certification exam: August 29 - September 2
- For additional information, please contact: Merilee Tanbara or Brittany Skobel
Certified Nursing Assistant Careers by the Numbers
Average Salary (as of 4/28/22): $45,855 source
Required Education: High school diploma, CNA certification program, and passing the state test
Job Outlook (2020-2030): 8% (as fast as average) source
Current Job Postings: indeed
What it's like to be an Certified Nursing Assistant: