Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Summer Program
The Tacoma Public School’s Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Program is an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the nursing field and begin to develop the skills needed to pursue in a career in healthcare.
Up to 24 juniors from Tacoma Public Schools will be selected to participate in this FREE six-week program. Students must be 16 years of age or older when the program begins
Participants begin with a four-week virtual learning experience, remote and in-person labs designed to give them the necessary knowledge and skills to work as a CNA in the health care setting. This is followed by a one-week hands-on clinical training experience at a nursing home or hospital.
Upon completion of the program students are qualified to take the Washington State Certified Nursing Assistant exam to receive their CNA certification.
After completing the state exam,students will be eligible for a program completion stipend, 8 college credits, and the opportunity to apply for a paid internship in the health care setting during Fall 2021.
Summer 2021 Program Timeline
- April 15 - May 5: Application window open
- May 10 - 14: Finalist interviews
- May 20: Notify selected applicants
- May 24 - June 18: Professional skill building activities and program orientation
- June 28 - July 23: Virtual classroom learning, remote labs, in-person labs
- July 26 - 30: Additional skills practice,clinical orientations
- August 2 - 13: One-week clinical experience Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (schedules vary based on clinical location)
- Mid-August: State certification exam