Washington Kindergarten Inventory of Skills (WaKIDS)
What is WaKIDS?
The Washington Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills (WaKIDS) is a transition process that helps to ensure a successful start to the K-12 experience and connect the key adults in a child's life.
Kindergarten teachers observe children during everyday classroom activities. This helps teachers find out what each child knows and can do at the beginning of the school year. Knowing more about children's entering skills and strengths helps teachers and parents work together to support student growth in the kindergarten year.
Who takes WaKIDS?
All TPS kindergartners.
WaKIDS consists of:
Family Connection - welcomes families into the Washington K-12 system as partners in their child's education.
Whole-Child assessment - helps kindergarten teachers learn about the skills and strengths of the children in their classrooms so they can meet the needs of each child.
- Early learning collaboration - aligns practices of early learning professionals and kindergarten teachers to support smooth transitions for children.
What skills are on the WaKIDS inventory?
Before October 31*, kindergarten teachers take an inventory of each child's developing skills in six areas:
The teacher uses an observational tool called GOLD® Objectives and Dimensions for WaKIDS – Evidence Worksheet.
* Deadline extended to 11/13/2020 for the 2020-21 school year
When is WaKIDS administered?
The Office of Supervisor of Public Instruction (OSPI) establishes state assessment testing windows each school year. Districts and schools schedule state assessment administration dates within those OSPI windows; please contact your school or firstname.lastname@example.org for details regarding planned state assessment dates.
- OSPI WaKIDS Website
- Family Connection (OSPI)
- WaKIDS Whole-Child assessment (OSPI)
- Early learning collaboration (OSPI)
- WaKIDS Family Brochure English | Spanish | Other Languages
- WaKIDS Introducing Me! Booklet English/Spanish | Other Languages
- GOLD® Objectives and Dimensions for WaKIDS – Evidence Worksheet
- State Testing Windows (OSPI)