OSPI K-2 Literacy Screener (Dyslexia)
Beginning in the 2021-22 school year, students in Grades K-2 will be screened for indicators and areas of weakness associated with dyslexia by their teacher. TPS is utilizing the i-Ready Universal Screener and Rapid Automatized Naming (RAN) Assessment to screen students.
What is a Literacy Screener?
A literacy screener is a short, informal test that is given to all students to determine whether further testing is needed. It is not a formal evaluation for learning difficulties.
Why is my Child being Screened?
- Early and intense intervention to address reading difficulties is the best way to prevent early problems from becoming more sever over time.
- With early identification and intervention, students at risk for reading difficulties, including dyslexia, can succeed in school and graduate ready for college, career, and civic life.
- OSPI About Dyslexia
- Dyslexia Fact Sheet (www.k12.wa.us)
- FAQ for Early Literacy Screening
- WA State Dyslexia Resource Guide
- Dyslexia Screener Tools and Best Practices