Academic Equity and Access
We believe that every student, staff and community stakeholder should be treated equitably. Our focus is to eliminate disparities among all groups.
The goal of the Office of Academic Equity and Access is to support the implementation of equitable practices throughout Tacoma Public Schools. The Equity Lens is a tool to (a) provide a common vocabulary and protocol for evaluating policies, programs, practices and decisions for equity and (b) produce policies, programs, practices and decisions which result in more equitable outcomes.
For any policy, program, practice or decision, consider the following five questions:
- Who are the groups affected by this policy, program, practice or decision? And what are the potential impacts on these groups?
- Does this policy, program, practice or decision ignore or worsen existing disparities or produce other unintended consequences?
- How have you intentionally involved stakeholders who are also members of the communities affected by this policy, program, practice or decision? Can you validate your assessments in (1) and (2)?
- What are the barriers to more equitable outcomes? (e.g. mandated, political, emotional, financial, programmatic or managerial)
- How will you (a) mitigate the negative impacts and (b) address the barriers identified above?