Lincoln High School

 

701 S. 37th St., Tacoma, WA 98418

Lincoln High School is the second oldest high school in the city of Tacoma, having opened its doors in 1914 at a cost of just $436,607. It was renovated several times during the 20th century, adding a second floor and the Lincoln Bowl, among other major additions over its first 92 years in existence.

Beginning in May 2006, construction started at Lincoln that would bring the school into the new millennium while maintaining the school’s history and traditions. The main building was completely modernized, transforming the layout into six zones  one in each wing on each floor  that are used to divide the school up in three separate academies. Each academy functions independently within the framework of the larger building to give students a choice of three different educational experiences.

The library wing was replaced by a new, three-story science wing. The library was then reconstructed in a new, four-story classroom wing. Structural upgrades to the industrial arts building were made, and the building that houses the gym and pool also received improvements.                   

The renovated and improved Lincoln High School opened up for students and staff in September 2007.

 Awards

  • Shirley Cooper Award for Best Meeting the Educational needs of its Students for 2008 from American Association of School Administrators (AASA)/American Institute of Architects (AIA) and Council of Educational Facilities Planners International (CEFPI)
  • Outstanding Design for Renovation/Modernization for 2008 from American School & University Magazine
  • Construction Excellence Award, state's best remodel/Tenant Improvement over $5,000,000 in 2008 from American General Contractors of Washington
  • Excellence in masonry Design-Rehab/Restoration in 2008 from Masonry Institute of Washington
  • Distinguished Projects Awards from Washington State Council of Educational Facility Planners International (CEFPI)
  • Lee J Brockway Award from Washington State Council of Educational Facility Planners International (CEFPI)
  • Pacific Northwest Honorable Mention Citation "Best Education Environment" from Washington State council of Educational Facility Planners International (CEFPI)
  • National Broze Award from Building Design and Construction Magazine

 Project Stats

​Bond issue: 2001
Square footage:​ ​272,749
Area:​ ​25.15 acres
​Capacity: ​1700
​Cost: ​$75,251,312
​Scope: ​Modernization of main building; new construction of three-story science wing; structural upgrades to industrial arts building
​Project supervisor: ​Dave Werner, Heery International
Completion date:​ September 2007
​Architect: ​DLR Group, Larry Ahem and Carrie Baldwin
​Contractor: Lease Crutcher Lewis Construction Company, David Bossard