Policy Details Page
Policy No. 6973
The district encourages information dissemination, collaboration, innovation and experimentation through the ethical use of technology. Using digital resources is integral in supporting business needs, providing 21st-centruy communication solutions to staff and students, extending student learning opportunities and meeting district goals. The district will encourage safeguards to protect employees, partners and students in the digital environment. Staff and students should only use district-approved technology, devices, software, equipment and communication tools solely for educational or business purposes.
Staff and students must adhere to federal and state laws and district policies related to the use of hardware, software, telecommunications systems and digital data. Additional safeguards as available and consistent with access to appropriate digital resources shall be used for remote video-conferencing in order that Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB) may be addressed and that student privacy rights are maintained. Staff should also ensure that professional staff/student boundaries are maintained while using video-conferencing.
This policy and its accompanying regulation establish the use of all District internet/intranet/extranet-related systems, including but not limited to computer equipment, software, operating systems, information storage systems, network accounts, telephones, fax machines, voice mail, electronic mail, video conferencing systems and other digital tools.
The superintendent shall develop appropriate guidelines for the use of Tacoma Public Schools’ digital resources.
- Board Policy 2020 Curriculum Development and Adoption of Instructional Materials
- Board Policy 2025 Copyright Compliance
- Board Policy 3207 Prohibition of Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying
- Board Policy 3241 Student Conduct/Discipline
- Board Policy 5010 Employee Conduct Rules
- Board Policy 5251 Ethics
- Board Policy 5243 Maintaining Professional Staff/Student Boundaries
- Board Policy 5280 Separation of Employment and Disciplinary Actions
- Board Policy 6250 Use of District-Owned Equipment and Materials
- 18 USC 2510-2523 Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986
Adoption Date: 7/27/00
- digital resources
- policy manual