Policy Details Page
VIDEO CAMERAS ON BUSES
Placement of Cameras
- Cameras shall be authorized for use in buses by the supervisor of transportation. The bus driver shall be notified of the placement in his/her bus.
- Drivers may request that a camera be placed in their buses. The supervisor of transportation shall discuss the reason for the request with the driver, and shall decide if and when a camera shall be placed in the bus by special request.
- Building principals may request the supervisor of transportation to authorize placement of a video camera in a bus when they have reason to believe that a problem exists.
- All buses where cameras may be used shall have signs notifying riders that video cameras may be in use.
Use of the Recorded Tapes
- When the bus returns to the garage, the transportation department foreman/mechanic or supervisor shall remove the tape and retain it in a secure location for up to five working days, unless it is needed to support a disciplinary action.
- The bus driver shall be reminded that the camera was on his/her bus. If the driver wishes to view the tape, a time shall be set for this purpose.
- The transportation supervisor may view the tape with or without the driver.
- If a serious or flagrant violation of student bus rules is observed or if there is a continued violation despite intervention, standard disciplinary action may be taken. Lesser violations shall be brought to the attention of the student and proper conduct shall be explained.
- Any time a tape is to be used to support a disciplinary action, the tape shall be dated, labeled and kept on file at the transportation department office for as long as deemed necessary.
- Tapes not used to support disciplinary action shall be reused.
- When a tape is used to support disciplinary action, the student or the student’s parent/guardian/custodian may request to view the video. A viewing shall be arranged at the student’s school or the transportation department office.
- A building principal or designee may request viewing of tapes through the transportation supervisor.
- The supervisor of transportation may use videos to assist drivers with student behavior management skills.
- video cameras