Policy Details Page
School District’s Responsibility for Privately Owned Property
The following guidelines shall apply to loss of or damage to privately owned property:
- Leaving items of obvious value at the school over a weekend or vacation period should be avoided.
- The district shall not reimburse for loss of money or personal effects except as otherwise authorized in collective bargaining agreements.
- The use of personal equipment must have the prior approval of the principal or supervisor.
- The district’s responsibility will be secondary to any personal insurance carried by claimants. All claims shall include a copy of personal insurance coverage. If personal insurance coverage is available, the district shall reimburse the employee’s deductible, subject to the employee’s collective bargaining agreement.
- Proper documentation shall accompany the request for reimbursement. This shall include repair estimates, original receipts or price quotes for replacement, subject to depreciation.
- Claims for reimbursement must be filed in accordance with the procedure.
- private property