Policy Details Page
Policy No. 4400
The district, as part of its mission to educate and instill civic responsibility, will assure that the community is appropriately informed about district and education-related ballot measures through objective and fair presentations of the facts related to those measures. However, public facilities will not be used to assist in any candidate’s campaign or to support or oppose any ballot measure.
The board will consider adopting resolutions expressing the board’s collective opinion on ballot measures (state and local, including district levy and bond measures) that impact the effective operation of the schools. Such a resolution will be considered at a board meeting, the short title and proposition number of the ballot measure will be included in the meeting notice, and an equal opportunity will be provided for views on both sides of the issue to be expressed.
Prior to an election on a district ballot measure, the district will publish to the entire community an objective and fair presentation of the facts relevant to the ballot measure. Normal and regular publications of the district will also continue to be published during election cycles and may contain fair, objective and relevant discussions of the facts of pending election issues.
The superintendent will develop procedures to implement this policy that are consistent with the guidelines provided by the Public Disclosure Commission at http://www.pdc.wa.gov/.
- Board Policy 4260 Use of Facilities
- Board Policy 5253 Staff Participation in Political Activities
- RCW 28A.320.090 Preparing and distributing information on the district’s instructional program, operation and maintenance — Limitation
- RCW 42.17A.555 Use of public office or agency facilities in campaigns — Prohibitions — Exceptions
- WAC 390-05-271 General application of RCW 42.17.130
- WAC 390-05-273 Definition of normal and regular conduct
- Policy News, August 2001 PDC Issues Election Guidelines for Schools
Adoption Date: 4/12/12
- policy handbook
- policy manual