Policy Details Page
Policy No. 4314
Individual-directed threats of violence or harm are communications that create fear of physical harm to a specific individual or individuals, communicated directly or indirectly by any means.
Building-directed threats of violence or harm are direct or indirect communications by any means of the intent to cause damage to a school building or school property (e.g., bomb threats), or to harm students, employees, volunteers, patrons or visitors.
The district will address threats of violence or harm in a manner consistent with the district’s safety policies and comprehensive safe-school plans.
Students and school employees who are subjects of threats of violence or harm shall be notified of the threats in a timely manner. Timing and details of the notice will be as extensive as permitted by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), other legal limitations and the circumstances.
Persons found to have made threats of violence or harm against district property, students, employees or others will be subject to relevant district discipline policies and will be referred to appropriate community agencies which may include law enforcement and mental health services. District staff shall work with in-district and community-based professionals and services in all relevant disciplines to address threats of violence or harm, those threatened and those making the threats. Necessary information about the person making the threat shall be communicated by the principal to teachers and staff, including security personnel.
State law provides the district, school district directors and district staff with immunity from liability for providing notice of threats in good faith. Persons who knowingly make a false notification of a threat are subject to appropriate district discipline policies and may be referred for prosecution.
- Board Policy 3200 Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Board Policy 3205 Safety and Civility in Schools
- Board Policy 3210 Nondiscrimination
- Board Policy 3240 Student Conduct
- Board Policy 3241 Classroom Management, Corrective Actions or Punishment
- Board Policy 5281 Disciplinary Action or Discharge
- Board Policy 6513 Workplace Violence Prevention
- Board Policy No. 4314
- RCW 28A.320.128 Notice and disclosure policies--Threats of violence--student conduct--Immunity for good faith notice—Penalty
- RCW 28A.300.285 Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying prevention policies
- WAC 392-400 Pupils
- 20 U.S.C. § 1232g Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- 34 C.F.R. Part 99 FERPA Regulations
- policy handbook
- policy manual