Policy Details Page
Materials distributed to students and their parents/guardians must be from nonprofit organizations that have social, recreational or educational value to the students. The dissemination of such materials is solely to provide parents with information on activities outside the school district that may be of interest to their children. It does not reflect the district’s endorsement or sponsorship of the activity. The school or district shall not distribute materials that:
- Advocate a specific candidate for office or a specific voter issue;
- Advocate or promote the violation of existing laws, regulations or ordinances, or official school policy, rules or regulations;
- Proselytize or disparage religion;
- Are obscene, lewd or vulgar;
- Are libelous;
- Contain language that is intimidating, demeaning, harassing or threatening on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital or veteran status, including, but not limited to, racial, sexual, or ethnic slurs;
- Promote commercial enterprises.
The materials must contain the following statement: “The district does not sponsor this event/activity/offer and the district assumes no responsibility for it. In consideration for the privilege to distribute these materials, the Tacoma School District No.10 shall be held harmless from any cause of action filed in any court or administrative tribunal arising out of the distribution of these materials, including all costs, attorney’s fees and judgments or awards.”
The Public Information Director shall review and determine whether the materials are approved for distribution to students. Any further review shall be by the superintendent/designee, whose decision shall be final.
Tacoma Public Schools supports an environmentally friendly online-only materials distribution process for nonprofit organizations that reduces waste, saves district staff time and eliminates paper costs for nonprofit organizations.
- policy handbook
- policy manual