Policy Details Page
Policy No. 3140
A student who resides within the boundaries of the district shall be released to 1) attend another school district, or 2) enroll for ancillary services, if any, in another district as specified in the parental declaration of intent to provide home-based instruction if:
- A financial, educational, safety or health condition affecting the student would be reasonably improved as a result of the transfer; or
- Attendance at the school in the nonresident district is more accessible to the parent's place of work or to the location of childcare; or
- There is some other special hardship or detrimental condition affecting the student or the student's immediate family which would be alleviated as a result of the transfer. Special hardship or detrimental condition includes a student who becomes a resident of the district in mid-year may apply for a release to complete the current school year only in his or her former district of residence if transferring mid-year would create a special hardship or detrimental condition.
The procedure to be granted permission to attend a non-resident school district is a two-step process. 1.) the parent/guardian must obtain permission from the Tacoma School District to be released; 2.) the parent/guardian must obtain permission from the requested district to be admitted. This policy addresses the first step only. The parent/guardian is responsible for obtaining permission for admission to the requested district.
In all cases in which a resident student is released, the district shall not be responsible for transportation.
Enrollment services shall grant or deny the request for release according to the above-stated criteria, and promptly notify the parent in writing of the decision.
A parent or guardian shall request the release of his/her child by annually completing the appropriate district form, including the basis for the request, and submitting it to enrollment services. Releases from the school district are valid for one year only.
The former regulation governing release of students was 3550.7 – Interdistrict transfers. This policy was originally adopted June 28, 1990 and revised on March 23, 1995 and October 12, 1995.
- RCW 28A.225.220 Adults, children from other districts, agreements for attending school--Tuition
- RCW 28A.225.230 Appeal from certain decisions to deny student's request to attend nonresident district--Procedure
- RCW 28A.225.290 Enrollment options information booklet
- RCW 28A.225.300 Enrollment options information to parents
Adoption Date: 6/22/00
- another school
- policy handbook
- policy manual