Policy Details Page
Policy No. 2190
In accordance with the philosophy to develop the special abilities of each student, the Tacoma School District No. 10 shall offer appropriate instructional programs to meet the needs of exceptionally gifted and talented students of school age. The framework for such programs shall encompass, but not be limited to, the following objectives:
- Expansion of academic attainments and intellectual skills;
- Stimulation of intellectual curiosity, independence, and responsibility;
- Development of a positive attitude toward self and others; and
- Development of originality and creativity.
The board will annually approve the district’s highly capable plan including: the number of students the district expects to serve by grade level; the district’s plan to identify students; a description of the highly capable program goals; a description of the services the program will offer; an instructional program description; a description of ongoing professional development for highly capable program and general education staff; program evaluation; a fiscal report; and assurances that the district is legally compliant.
The Superintendent or designee shall establish procedures consistent with state guidelines for the nomination, assessment, and selection of students demonstrated achievement or potential ability in terms of general intellectual ability, academic aptitude, and creative or productive thinking.
- RCW 28A.185.030 Programs - Authority of local
- RCW School Districts Selection of students
- WAC 392-170 Special service program – Highly capable students
- Policy and Legal News, September 2013 Highly Capable Program WAC overhauled
- Policy News, April 2008 Highly Capable Programs
- highly capable
- policy handbook
- policy manual