Policy Details Page
Policy No. 2153
Pursuant to the Equal Access Act, the school board authorizes non-curriculum-related student groups to meet in its secondary schools during non-instructional time, subject to the approval of the principal. Such approval shall be granted, provided that activities of the group are not disruptive to school operations and the members of the group comply with the rules established by the superintendent and/or school principal. The principal shall approve the non-curriculum-related student meeting or activity provided that:
- The meeting shall be voluntary and initiated by students;
- The school or its staff shall not be a sponsor of the group;
- The meeting shall not materially and substantially interfere with the educational activities within the school;
- Students shall be responsible for the direction, control, and conduct of the meeting;
- Guests must be registered and must not be regular participants;
- The use of school funds for other than incidental and/or monitoring costs shall not be permitted;
- A staff member or agent of the school shall not participate in the meeting or be compelled to attend when the meeting is contrary to his/her belief.
The principal shall be responsible for the assignment of a room and for the approval and/or assignment of a staff member to monitor the meeting.
The superintendent is authorized to develop and implement the necessary regulations for the administration of this policy.
- Board Policy 2150 Co-curricular Program
- 20 U.S.C. 4071-4074 Equal Access Act
- Wash. Const. Art. I, § 11
- Wash. Const. Art. IX, § 4
Adoption Date: 1/27/00
- equal access