Policy Details Page
Policy No. 2151
The board recognizes the value of a program of interscholastic activities as an integral part of the total school experience for students of the Tacoma School District No. 10 and the community. The program of interscholastic activities shall include all activities relating to competitive sports contests, games or events, or exhibitions involving individual students or teams of a student of this district when such events occur between separate schools within the district or with any schools outside the district.
The board also recognizes that concussion and head injuries are commonly reported injuries in children and adolescents who participate in sports/activities. The board acknowledges the risk of catastrophic injuries or death is significant when a concussion or head injury is not properly evaluated and managed.
Consistent with Washington law, the district will utilize guidelines developed with the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) and other pertinent information and forms to inform and educate coaches, advisors, athletes and their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) of the nature and risk of concussions or head injuries, including the dangers associated with continuing to participate after a concussion or head injury.
The superintendent is authorized to develop and implement the necessary regulations for the administration of this policy.
- Board Policy 2121 Substance Abuse Program
- Board Policy 3416 Medication at Schools
- Board Policy 3418 Emergency Treatment
- Board Policy 4260 Use of School Facilities
- Board Policy 6510 Safe Facilities
- WIAA Handbook
- RCW 28A.400.350 Liability, life, health care, accident, Disability, and salary insurance authorized-- Premiums
- RCW 28A.600.200 Interscholastic athletic and other extraCurricular activities for students, regulation of—Delegation, conditions
- RCW 64.41.330 Public Warnings – School Districts
- RCW 69.41.340 Student athletics
Adoption Date: 1/27/00
- interscholastic activities
- policy handbook
- policy manual