Policy Details Page
Policy No. 2110
The board has the highest commitment toward ensuring an equal educational opportunity for every student. While English is the language of instruction in the Tacoma School District No. 10 schools, the district shall provide an instructional program to support students whose primary language is not English, See RCW Chapter 28A.180.
The district and its staff shall:
- Use a Home Language Survey (HLS) to identify student eligibility for English Learner services
- Assess and determine using a state-approved language proficiency assessment tool student eligibility with ten (10) school days of enrollment and attendance.
- Annually assess by means of the state-approved test, improvement in English language proficiency for each eligible English language learner;
- Take reasonable steps to communicate with parents of students in the English language proficiency program in a language they can understand;
- Provide professional development training for administrators, teachers, counselors, and other staff who are involved in the district’s English language learners' instructional program, on 1) research-based instructional strategies for students of culturally diverse backgrounds; 2) assessment results and 3) use of curriculum materials and program models.
- Provide for continuous improvement and evaluation of the district’s program to determine its effectiveness
For purposes of providing such services, the superintendent will establish regulations for identifying eligible students, evaluating a student's previous course work, and granting credit to a student for purposes of graduation.
The superintendent is authorized to develop and implement the necessary regulations for the administration of this policy.
- Policy 2133 Diversity-Multicultural Education
- Policy 3111 Nondiscrimination and Equity
- Policy 4129 Family Involvement
- Policy 4130 Community Relations
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Chapter 28A.180 RCW Transitional Bilingual Instructional Program
- Chapter 28A.642 RCW Discrimination prohibition
- Chapter 49.60 RCW Discrimination – Human Rights Commission
- Chapter392-160 WAC Special service program - Transitional bilingual
- WAC 162-28-040 Public schools – Equal education-Equal rights – National origin minority group children.
Adoption Date: 1/27/00
- english language
- policy handbook
- policy manual