Policy Details Page
Page 1 of 1
Policy No. 2024
The Tacoma Board of Directors believes that a variety of learning options, including online courses and programs, are important for 21st Century learners. The Board recognizes that online learning environments provide students with unique opportunities to become self-disciplined learners with life-long learning skills. Further, the board believes that online learning provides opportunities for students to retrieve credit, access curriculum and specialized courses in a flexible learning environment that might not otherwise be available. Therefore, the board supports online learning opportunities that are universally accessible to students in the school district.
The Board directs the superintendent to develop regulations to implement this policy and to provide information to students regarding online learning options within the school district. The regulations will include a description of student access to online learning courses/programs, student eligibility criteria, the types of online courses available to students within the district, methods the district will use to support student success, payment of course fees and other costs, granting of course credit and conditions under which no credit will be awarded.
- Board Policy
- RCW 28A.250 Online Learning
- RCW 28A.230.090 High School graduation requirements or equivalencies – Reevaluation of graduation requirements – Review and authorization of proposed changes – Credit for courses taken before attending high school – Postsecondary credit equivalencies.
- RCW 28A.320.035 Contracting out – Board’s powers and duties – Goods and services
- RCW 28A.150.262 Defining full-time equivalent student – Students receiving instruction through alternative learning experience online programs – Requirements –Rules
- WAC 180-51 High School Graduation Requirements
- WAC 392-121-182 Alternative learning experience requirements
- WAC 392-121-188 Instruction provided under contract
- WAC 392-410-310 Equivalency course of study – Credit for correspondence courses, electronically mediated courses, and college courses.
- WAC 392-502 Online Learning
Adoption Date: 7/22/10
- online learning
- policy handbook
- policy manual