Attend a Meeting
School Board meetings begin at 6:00pm and are held in the 4th Floor Auditorium at the Central Administration Building at 601 South 8th Street in Tacoma, unless otherwise posted (Get directions). All regular board business meetings and study session meetings are public and everyone is encouraged to attend. Executive sessions are closed to the public. Public parking and the main entrance are located on the west side of the building at South G Street.
- Business Meetings
2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, except for once monthly meetings in July/August/December.
- Study Sessions
3rd Thursday of the month, as needed.
- Meeting Calendar
View past and upcoming school board meeting dates.
MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC WISHING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD
School board members encourage public participation. Your civil input is appreciated. Board members will not respond to your comments during the meeting. The Superintendent or a designee will follow-up with you after the meeting if action is needed. Instead of speaking at a meeting, you may also send an email to the board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Option 1: Verbal Comment:
For verbal comment, submit a "Citizens' Request to Speak" card prior to the meeting start.
- The General Counsel will call your name when it is your turn to address the Board. Speakers may be grouped based upon the subject matter. When addressing the Board, please state your name at the podium.
- You will have up to three (3) minutes to share your verbal comment.
- If there are more than ten (10) requests for verbal comment, the Board President has discretion to restrict the time or number of speakers based upon the agenda.
- Additional Time may be granted for accommodation (e.g., disability, language).
Option 2: Written Comment:
Prepare a written statement that will be attached to the board agenda and meeting minutes.
- Because this will be a public document, it is recommended that you prepare the statement in a separate document using an application such as Microsoft Word. At the top of the document, please identify yourself and the subject matter (a title) for your statement. Please do not include your phone number, address or email address unless you want that personal identifying information included in the public record.
- Submit your written statement via email to the school board secretary 24-hours prior to the start of the meeting. Statements submitted after the deadline will not be considered at this session.
- Statements should be emailed to email@example.com. Please specify in your email that your letter is "For Public Comment."
- Typically, the board allows up to three (3) minutes for you to share verbal comments. A three (3) minute verbal statement converts to approximately 300-500 words or up to 2 pages double spaced. Please limit your written statement to this guideline.
- During the meeting, the General Counsel will read into the record your name and the subject matter (title) of your statement. They will not read your statement aloud during the meeting. However, your statement will be linked to the agenda so that members of the public will be able to read your statement.
- Your statement will also be linked to the meeting minutes for future reference.
- Members of the board will also review your written statement.