Work has started to replace the former Hunt Middle School with a new building.
When it opens in fall 2021, the new comprehensive middle school will be able to serve 600 students. It will sit in the same area as the old main building, with the main entrance on South 10th Street, about opposite of South Whitman Street. The round building at Mildred and South 10th will remain.
To ensure safety, the Hunt site is now closed to the public, including all fields and access points. Fencing is up around the site to prepare for the demolition of the existing building and construction.
- February – March 2020: Abatement and demolition of existing buildings
- March 2020: Grading building pad begins
- April 2020 – July 2021: Construction
- Spring 2021: Street and off-site improvements
- September 2021: School opens
Funding and phases
Phase 1 of the work is funded by the $500 million bond approved by voters in 2013. It includes:
Design of the entire building and site
School construction (with exceptions listed below)
The existing fields remain as is until phase 2 begins.
Phase 2 will be funded by a $535 million bond approved by voters in February 2020. It includes:
- An additional classroom wing (with autism classroom, makerspace, culinary arts, lab, general classrooms)
- Band room, choir room, orchestra room
- Covered play
- New track and fields, and other outdoor recreational areas
The new Hunt Middle School will alleviate overcrowding at Wainwright, Mason and Truman. Elementary schools that will feed into the Hunt boundary are all or some portions of Geiger, DeLong, Whittier, Franklin and Jefferson.
About Tacoma Schools
Tacoma Public Schools is the only district designated an Innovation Zone by Washington State. A leader in implementing innovative schools and programs to meet the diverse needs of every student, every day, TPS serves approximately 30,000 students from preschool to grade 12 and at nearly 5000 employees is one of the largest employers in Tacoma. Learn more...