In response to a statewide educator shortage and highly competitive hiring environment, Tacoma Public Schools is continuing its hiring efforts to fill important positions by offering $250-$5,000 hiring bonuses.
The bonuses are funded by state Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funds.
Current employees are also now eligible to receive a $150 bonus for every candidate they refer and who is later hired into any district job. Retirees are also eligible to receive a $250 bonus for returning. Cabinet members, Human Resources employees and the school board are not eligible for employee referral bonuses.
Hiring bonuses are available for the following positions and amounts:
- Nurses ($5,000)
- LPNs ($3,500 for licensed)
- Regular and substitute bus drivers ($3,500 for CDL Class B certified, $2,500 for non-CDL Class B certified)
- Regular and substitute education support professionals ($500)
- Regular and substitute bus monitors ($500)
- Regular and substitute Nutrition Services employees($500). No high school diploma or GED required. District offering incentives to obtain GED.
- School support staff ($250)
TPS continues to be one of the top-paying districts in the state and strives to create a culture and atmosphere where collegiality, respect and candor are the norm.
The positions with hiring bonuses are traditionally hard to fill. The competitive hiring environment has further increased the challenge of recruiting for these positions.
Benefit package for qualifying employees includes medical, dental, vision, retirement.
TPS Media Contact
About Tacoma Schools
Tacoma Public Schools is the only district designated an Innovation Zone by Washington State. A leader in implementing innovative schools and programs to meet the diverse needs of every student, every day, TPS serves approximately 30,000 students from preschool to grade 12 and at nearly 5000 employees is one of the largest employers in Tacoma. Learn more...