Food supply challenges will limit school menus in September
While meals for TPS students are free again this year, we will ask families to fill out Household Information Surveys that collect data to support supplemental education programs. This replaces the Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application process.
How can families access the Household Information Survey?
- Students who receive state benefits such as through the SNAP program may not need to fill out a form. Families who are “directly certified,” or otherwise identified as eligible for benefits, will soon receive an email or letter from the district confirming this and do not need to fill out the survey.
- Families who are not directly certified will soon get a link or instructions on how to fill out the Household Information Survey.
- If you don’t receive this survey or a letter confirming your certification by the end of September, please contact your school’s office coordinator or Patsy Neas, firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-571-3378.
Do you need a letter to qualify for low-income benefits and discounts?
If you need a qualifications letter for services such as free ASB cards or discounts on certain services, contact Patsy Neas at email@example.com or 253-571-3378.
Temporary food supply limitations
Regular meal services are returning this fall, but challenges with food supply due to labor and transportation disruptions mean that:
- September menus will be very limited
- Posted menus may change with little notice
- Medically necessary meal accommodations may be delayed
If your student has medically necessary meal accommodations, please contact your school nurse to confirm those are on file or to get a form for your health care provider to complete. It may take a week or two to get special items in stock, so please plan accordingly and keep in communication with your school to know when special items are available.
We will let families know when we can increase menu options.
About Tacoma Schools
Tacoma Public Schools is the only district designated an Innovation Zone by Washington State. A leader in implementing innovative schools and programs to meet the diverse needs of every student, every day, TPS serves approximately 30,000 students from preschool to grade 12 and at nearly 5000 employees is one of the largest employers in Tacoma. Learn more...