Now that we have the big-picture plan for what school will look like in the fall, we are working to determine the details of what a school day will look like and all the pieces that go with it.
The big picture is that families can choose an online-only school taught by certificated teachers, or a hybrid model with some days of the week spent learning inside a school and some days spent learning from home.
While we’re working on the next stage of the plan, we’d like to hear from you again. What questions do you have about going back to school this fall? We’ll answer your questions in a series of live webinars to help all Tacoma families have a more complete picture of what the fall will look like.
Some of the pieces we’re developing now include:
- Creating a health screening process for students and staff to enter their school
- Ensuring we meet the needs of students who require extra supports
- Determining how to safely incorporate athletics and activities
- Determining how to get meals to students on both the days they’re at school and at home
- Developing student schedules for remote learning days
- Ensuring students’ social-emotional wellbeing is supported
- Creating a plan for online school
- Working with community partners on Internet access and childcare for families
- Setting up classrooms to meet social distancing requirements
- Ensuring we follow guidelines to keep facilities and school buses clean
“No matter which piece of the day we’re planning, the health of our students and staff are the top priority,” said Superintendent Carla Santorno. “This will be a year of taking care of people, in every way. It’s an enormous challenge, but I’m confident in our team. We can do this.”
About Tacoma Schools
Tacoma Public Schools is the only district designated an Innovation Zone by Washington State. A leader in implementing innovative schools and programs to meet the diverse needs of every student, every day, TPS serves approximately 30,000 students from preschool to grade 12 and at nearly 5000 employees is one of the largest employers in Tacoma. Learn more...