February 8, 2022 Election
Thank you, voters!
You consistently support Tacoma’s kids, and we are so grateful for it. Election results show both Props. 1 and 2 are passing with more than a 65% “yes” vote.
Proposition 1: Educational Programs & Operations Replacement Levy
Funds 15% of day-to-day operations
Teachers, Books and Basics
- Teachers, nurses, counselors, librarians, paraeducators and special needs staff – equaling about 500 staff members
- Up-to-date textbooks and instructional materials and textbooks, including math and reading, to bring all students up to grade level
Educational Programs for Every Child in Every Neighborhood
- Special needs programs and improved accessibility for students and staff with disabilities
- Pre-school and after-school programs
- Programs for high-achieving students and college credit-level courses for all students
- Arts, music, athletics, extracurricular programs, and career and technical education programs
Health, Safety & Security
- Maintenance to deteriorating plumbing, heating and ventilation systems for clean air and safe water
- Maintenance to aging roofs and for buildings, seismic upgrades and earthquake safety
- Improvements to school safety, security and fire alarm systems and 911 communications
Proposition 2: Technology Improvements & Upgrades Replacement Levy
Technology access for all K-12 students
Access to Technology & Up-to-Date Learning for Every K-12 student
- Expanded technology access and laptops for every K-12 student and staff member to use at school and at home.
- Staff training and up-to-date computer software and online learning tools for teachers and students
Safety, Security and Privacy Protection
- Increased computer safety, security and privacy protection for all students and staff
Keeping Students on Track
- Online systems for students, teachers and parents to monitor academic progress, attendance, homework, and credits, keeping students on track for high school graduation
Not a tax rate increase
- Props. 1 and 2 are both 4-year replacement measures of expiring levies that cover the basic day-to-day operations, maintenance and technology needs for every neighborhood school.
- If Props. 1 and 2 pass, the average four-year tax rate for Tacoma schools is projected to decrease due to rising property values (from $2.72 per $1,000 to $2.63 per $1,000 of assessed value*).
- The cost to the average Tacoma homeowner is projected to be about $13 more per month ($9.43 per month for Prop. 1 Operations levy and $3.63 for Prop. 2 Technology levy.)
*The average home value in Tacoma in February 2021 was $352,322, according to the Pierce County Assessor-Treasurer.
Proposition 1 funds 15% of daily school operations, and Proposition 2 provides access to technology in all neighborhood schools
Propositions 1 and 2 are 4-year replacements of expiring levies to fund educational progress, basic day-to-day operations, maintenance and technology for every neighborhood school
Remember to vote: find a ballot drop box location near you